Are building permits required?

Permits are most likely required for the following items.  Prior to doing any work, be sure to check with the Community Development Department in City Hall for permits and guidance.  You and your contractor are held equally responsible to obtain the proper permits and to verify all information.

  • Commercial and Residential (New and Alteration) Construction
  • Electrical, Plumbing and Utility Work
  • Signs
  • Water Sewer Connection
  • Occupancy Change
  • Demolition
  • Use of Public Right of Way
  • Pools, Porches, Fences, Block or Retaining Walls, Hot Tubs, Sheds, etc.
  • Decks or Patios 
  • Excavations, etc.

Permits may be obtained by applying through the online portal, Citizenserve.

Why do I need to license my rental property?

City Code sets minimum standards for the protection of health, safety, morals and general welfare of the public and of the owners and occupants of dwellings in the City of Cumberland. It is unlawful for the owner(s) of any rental dwelling unit to permit occupancy of any rental dwelling unit by another unless it is licensed by the City of Cumberland and every licensed dwelling unit shall be inspected on an occupancy basis.  To license a new rental, visit the Community Development’s online portal: Citizenserve.  To schedule an inspection, it can be done through the portal once you are registered and licensed, or you may call the Office of Community Development at 301-722-2000 Ext. 5600.

Who do I contact with a problem?

Depending upon the issue, the following departments or resources are available to help.

To report a pothole, broken streetlight or damaged/missing street sign:

To report a diseased or hazardous tree:

To report a code violation:

How can I pay my utility bill?

To view and print your bill, pay your bill by ACH or to sign up for the Utility Billing Portal, visit:

For alternate payment locations, visit: