Inclement Weather Information for Trash Collection in the City of Cumberland
Since we are headed into the winter season, we’d like to notify the community how to plan for trash collections during inclement weather.
Trash collections may start earlier or later in the day, depending on weather. So, be sure to have your trash out prior to 5 am to assure collection. You may put your trash out as early as dusk the night before your trash day.
Sometimes circumstances out of the trash company’s control that may mean an interruption in trash collection. These could include extreme icy conditions, significant snow storms, or landfill closures (due to extreme weather conditions in Frostburg, where the landfill is located).
To find out if service interruptions have impacted your trash/recycling pickup check out the following:
- Listen to the local radio stations for a public announcement
- Visit the City of Cumberland website for updates (www.cumberlandmd.gov)
- Sign up for Notify Me! at the City of Cumberland website
- Check the City of Cumberland, Local Government Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/cityofcumberlandmd)
- Call 301-777-0416 or 301-759-6604 for more information
If you find that your trash/recycling pick up is interrupted due to inclement weather or landfill closure, please bring your uncollected trash back to your property.
- Your trash will be collected on your routes next regular trash collection day.
- Your recycling will be collected the next recycling day for that missed commodity. For example, if your collection interruption occurred on the day your cans/bottles were to be recycled you would bring that recycling back to your property and put it out the following week on Co-Mingled recycling day (the first trash day of the week).