The Cumberland Fire Department began operation on March 6, 1906.
Central Station 1
Central Station 1 at Market Square was located across from the present City Hall Building and was staffed by 4 men.
South End Station 2
South End Station 2 was located on Browning Street and staffed 3 men.
Firefighting apparatus for the new department consisted of a 65 foot Seagrave aerial ladder truck and 3 American LaFrance combination chemical engine and hose wagons. These wagons were all horse-drawn with 6 horses at a total cost of $18,500.
In March 2006, a Centennial Celebration was held to honor all active and retired members of the Cumberland Fire Department.