Shade Tree CommissionThe Shade Tree Commission was created to further sound urban management practices, to preserve and enhance the beauty of Cumberland, and to study the problems and determine the needs of the city with regard to tree planting and maintenance programs.
Hazardous TreesPlease inform the City if you see a tree that you believe poses a hazard and is in need of emergency pruning. Other tree emergencies such as fallen trees, fallen limbs, and hanging limbs should also be reported. The Arbor Day Foundation defines a Hazard Tree as: "A tree with structural defects that may cause the tree or a portion of the tree to fall on someone or something of value."
To report a hazardous tree or a tree emergency please use the online Tree Work Request Form, or call Paul Eriksson at 301-759-6607.
Cumberland City Code References
- Chapter 2. Article V. Division 3. Shade Tree Commission
- Chapter 14. Article I. Section 14-1. Removal or trimming of trees, vegetation, etc.
- Chapter 22. Article V. Trees and Shrubs
- Online version of Cumberland City Code
- Residential Tree Maintenance and Removals Please Use and Hire a Licensed Tree Expert
- Arbor Day Foundation
- International Society of Arboriculture
- Maryland: Smart, Green and Growing
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Society of American Foresters